IT Senior Architect
Date: Aug 2, 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
About the General Motors Global Purchasing and Supply Chain IT team:
The innovation behind the GoMobile team is another example of how GM is breaking down the walls of conventional technological thinking. GM’s new GoMobile team is responsible for developing and delivering mobile solutions. Our industry-leading developers, engineers, and architects develop, test, and deploy GoMobile applications using Agile methodology.
About architecture role:
The GM Architecture Role was formalized in 2003 GMIT System Development Factories and then contractually defined for the 2006 3rd generation IT organization with Application Integration Management Domain, Application Integration Management Enterprise and Infrastructure Integration Management Global Service Contracts. In 2011 these contracts were dismantled and GM IT assumed responsibility for architecture activities at the enterprise, domain and infrastructure level. GM IT Architects participate in Strategic Global Programs (Business Cross Functional). Portfolio Level Programs and individual Projects that are initiated via an annual portfolio vetting activity. A specific business process may have significant portfolio funding during a calendar year or there may be little to no funding available. Predominately the annual funding model is an indication of level of activity needed to solution or support business initiatives. The GPSC architecture team strives to assign resources to maintain continuity of understanding within a business process but must balance that against actual work to be completed year over year.
A GPSC Senior Architect role is a business and technical leadership position. A Senior IT Architect is expected to have multi-discipline expertise and capabilities required to participate in problem definition, identify solutions and assist in problem solving. An IT architect has a strong working knowledge of various architectural patterns, technologies, data and architecture management processes and isn’t ashamed to ask for help. A Senior IT Architect is capable of working without direct supervision to develop multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data and infrastructure designs. A Senior IT Architect will also contribute to the definition of GM IT technology direction, standards and roadmaps across one or more business or technical domains.
The GPSC Application Portfolio consists of legacy mainframe IMS, CICS & DB2 application components, distributed Java and Microsoft application components running on Z/OS, Solaris, Linux and Windows operating systems, Relation Database Technologies (Oracle, Ingres, SQL Server). Additionally there are active SAP ERP deployments in various regions and business process areas. The integration platform consists of legacy flat file formats, JCAPs and MQ messaging, Services Oriented, direct database access and EDI. These integrations are predominately batch oriented but real time integrations are becoming a significant part of the GPSC business model. An IT Architect straddles past, present and future IT Solutions using the Reuse, Buy, Build analysis, works within GM enterprise initiatives and emerging technologies teams to solution IT systems to meet demanding global Logistics, Purchasing or Supply Chain business requirements.
There are many GM Global initiatives active in 2013 that influence GPSC systems landscapes.
These include the following:
- Integrated Product Definition and Change (IPDC)
- Joint Purchasing Operation
- Global Capacity Management
- One Purchasing System
- Global Plant and Product Launches
- Global Logistics Benchmarking
- Lean Materials Strategy
Information Technology (IT) Initiatives
- Shadow IT
- Systems Consolidation and Reduction
- Data Center Transformation
- Enterprise Data Warehouse
Fundamental Skills of the Senior GPSC IT Architect
- UML Modeling (esp Behavioral, Structural, Implementation and Deployment Views)
- Assist and promote UML Use Case Modeling
- Business Rules Modeling
- Familiarity and experience with Development Tools (e.g. Eclipse, Netbeans, Fusion SDF, Rational), Application Lifecycle Management, Functional and Performance Testing,
- Minimum 8 years experience of practical system development processes,
- Development experience with one or more of the following technologies, J2EE, Java Application Server (JBoss, Websphere, Weblogic etc), C# and Microsoft Application Server, Relational Database (Oracle DB2, MySQL). CICS or IMS Mainframe
- Experience with TOGAF or Zacman Frameworks Enterprise Architecture
- Practical experience with Open Source Projects or emerging technologies (e.g. semantic search, NoSQL persistence storage, virtualization and cloud opportunities)
- Presentation and Communication, ability to communicate one on one with all levels of the GM IT or business organization.
- Practical Service Modeling experience with SOAML a plus
- OEM or Supplier experience with Automotive Logistics, Purchasing, Supply Chain, EDI business applications.
Fundamental Skills of the Senior GPSC IT Data Architect
- Same list as GPSC Senior Architects
- Practical understanding of Database Access Tools (SQLPlus, SQL Processing Using File Input SPUFI)
- Working Knowledge of Data Modeling Tools ERWIN,
- Working Knowledge of Data Base Performance Tools (Oracle AWR, DB2 Instrumentation Facility Interface]
- Experience with Oracle, IBM and other relational database, replication and ETL technologies
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
Nearest Major Market: Phoenix
Job Segments: Architecture, Engineer, Instrumentation, Developer, Mainframe, Engineering, Technology