Senior Data Architect (EDW)
Date: Aug 2, 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
About the General Motors Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) team:
GM has recently announced numerous steps to strengthen its position as a global automotive leader. GM is constructing an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) as one of the cornerstones to achieve this objective. As a member of the EDW team you will play a significant role in helping GM implement one of the largest data warehouses in the world. GM is seeking dynamic individuals who will leverage their industry knowledge and experiences to design, architect, deploy, and manage this data warehouse.
About the role:
The Senior Data Architect position is a highly technical position with responsibility to lead the development, validation, publishing, and maintenance of logical and physical data models required to migrate existing independent data marts into the EDW, and for new business requirements to be implemented using the EDW.
A key responsibility is to work with other key roles such as Business Analysts, Data Architects, Data IntegrationETL Developers, DBAs, etc. Conduct workshops interviews of business leads. Bring discovered data issues to the attention of the relevant business owners.
The Senior Data Architect will be expected to leverage their knowledge of data modeling best practices along with cross industry data expertise and data modeling tool expertise. They will be responsible for helping establishing, communicating, adoptions and compliance to best practices and standard. Assist Data Stewards in defining desired data quality levels.
The Senior Data Architect must be capable of collaborating, training and mentoring junior Data Modelers and Software Developers.
- 4 Year IT College Degree/Masters preferred or equivalent work experience
- 7-10+ years in business environments in Data Modeling
- Demonstrable experience in developing, validating, publishing, maintaining LOGICAL data models with exposure to or experience in developing, validating, publishing, maintaining PHYSICAL data models
- Demonstrable experience using data modeling tools - e.g., ErWin
- Evaluate existing data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies
- Experience with managing meta data for data models
- Experience with developing Data Quality management, audit, monitoring and cleansing techniques in implementation
- Demonstrable experience in developing, publishing, and maintaining all documentation for data models
- Work with Business Analysts, Data Architects, Software developers, DBAs to achieve project objectives - delivery dates, cost objectives, quality objectives, business customer satisfaction objectives, etc.
- Demonstrable leadership experience in establishing standards, collaborating with others in large scale implementations
- Must be flexible in approach and a proven track record for delivering results and the ability to adapt to a rapid development cycle
- Leverage and enforce standards for data naming conventions to ensure consistency and reuse of data models
- Perform reverse engineering of physical data models from databases and SQL scripts
- Validate business use cases for accuracy and completeness of proposed data models
- Capable in reviewing, critiquing and reviewing others work
- Previous experience in an AGILE development environment
- Experience with large multi-Terabyte implementations of both structured and unstructured data
- Experience with large scale distributed implementations of data warehousing landscapes
- Demonstrable experience with industry leading large scale database platforms (i.e. Hadoop, Teradata, IBM DB2, IBM BigInsights, HP Neoview, HP Vertica, HP Autonomy, Greenplum, Oracle ExaData, SAS)
- Experience with open source technologies (i.e. Hadoop, Pig, Hive, JAQL, HCatalog, JSON)
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value. The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) is at the center of this IT transformation.
Join our team and experience data warehousing at a scale and pace not seen before!
Nearest Major Market: Atlanta
Job Segments: Database, Data Architect, Architecture, SAP, Oracle, Technology, Data, Engineering