IT Senior Mainframe Infrastructure Architect
Date: Jul 8, 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
IT Senior Mainframe Infrastructure Architect
An IT Senior Mainframe Infrastructure architect is responsible and accountable for the quality and cohesion of solution architecture components within the Mainframe domain and their conformance to approved GM IT standards and alignment with the future state enterprise and Mainframe Infrastructure architectural goals. This includes both hands-on development of IT technology solution architectures as well as management of various architectural initiatives.
An IT Senior Mainframe Infrastructure architect is able to look across the assigned domain to ensure consistent alignment of technical solutions with the business goals and objectives of the supported unit. The Mainframe Infrastructure architect provides industry leading technical direction and guidance to various project teams to ensure appropriate and cost effective application of GM approved technologies. Ensures appropriate and effective Mainframe Infrastructure integration across multiple applications.
An IT Senior Mainframe Infrastructure Architect is expected to have basic capabilities required of an IT Senior Mainframe Infrastructure architect and a general familiarity with various architectural patterns, technologies and architecture management processes. An Associate IT Architect will work under the direction of a more senior IT architect while contributing to multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data and infrastructure designs.
a) Leads in defining solution architectures which includes evaluation, selection and integration of necessary technical components to create solution designs that support the defined functional and non-functional requirements.
b) Leads documentation of the current and future state application and/or infrastructure architectures for the Mainframe Infrastructure domain areas.
c) Contributes to the development and/or review of future state application architectures in an organized and cohesive manner using industry accepted frameworks.
d) Understands and applies architecture principles in the context of a specific solution.
e) Promotes and contributes to the integration and cohesion of developed or reviewed architecture solutions across the assigned architectural layers.
f) Ensure that designed or reviewed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability and security.
g) Promotes innovation and application of emerging IT technologies within the context of a business driven solution.
- Knowledge of software or hardware design, selection and deployment techniques and methodologies.
- Practical Knowledge of the application of architecture design methodologies and frameworks.
- Knowledge of the IT Mainframe Infrastructure technology domain including operating systems software and platforms, infrastructure platforms, data management and database technologies, networking technologies and security frameworks and tools.
- Knowledge of various architecture support tools for Mainframe Infrastructure.
- Knowledge and Proficiency in some of the following products/technologies:
§ Mainframe: COBOL, Mainframe, IMS
§ Databases: IMS, DB2,PL/SQL Programming, Stored Procedure Development, Performance Tuning,
§ NoSQL : Hadoop, Casandra
§ Web Application Servers: WebSphere, WebLogic, TomCat, IIS
§ Other: Business Intelligence, Mobile Development, Oracle SOA, SAP, Peoplesoft, Teamcenter/NX
§ Development Environments: Eclipse, Jdeveloper, Visual Studio
§ Major Standards: AJAX, JSON
§ OS: zOS, Linux, UNIX, Windows, VMware, Android, iOS
§ Tools: QC/ALM, Performance Center, QTP, Selenium, Subversion, Rally, Teamforge, Rational suite, Hudson/Jenkins, Sonar
§ Methodologies: Agile, Spiral, Waterfall, Iterative
• Network: LAN/WAN/CAN/WiFi/RF/PlantFloor - CISCO, GE Cimplicity,
• Storage/BUR: EMC
• Services - LDAP/AD/NIS/License/CIFS
• Client - O/S, VDI - Xen, Citrix
• Test, V&V: Gomez/Dynatrace, HP/QC
- Experienced based knowledge and ability to apply the principles of application or infrastructure architectures, including the distinction between contextual, conceptual, logical and physical layers.
- Able to identify the distinction and dependencies between business, information, systems and technology architecture layers.
- Proven experience based ability to contribute to the design and development of IT solutions based on defined requirements in a large-scale multi-national organization.
- Ability to utilize various technologies for suitable inclusion in IT solution designs.
- Ability to comprehend abstract models of IT solution architectures, including various views of solution architectures.
- Ability to comprehend defined functional and non-functional business requirements and translate these into clearly articulated architectural requirements in the context of the required solution.
- Participates in the discovery, documentation and refinement of business requirements to ensure alignment with technically viable solution designs.
- Documents applicable assumptions related to the technical viability of defined and reviewed solutions. Validates these assumptions as needed to ensure solution appropriateness.
- Understands current and future state architectural models and views as necessary to ensure availability of a thorough and robust comprehension of the assigned domain.
- Participates in technical incident management and troubleshooting as needed.
- Ability to work constructively as an individual or in groups with minimal supervision. Understands and can apply software engineering and application development methodologies in a complex multi-project environment. Subject matter expertise across applications, data, database, middleware, mainframe and midrange server computing, network (Intranet/Extranet/Internet), security, and client platform (Including mobile) IT products and services.
- Storage expert with skills in DFHSM, DFSMS, preferred TS7720 and IBM storage hardware expertise including GDPS
- Transactional software expert with IMS/TM and CICS expertise
- Middleware software expert with MQ, Websphere and/or Apache Tomcat, IIS skills
- Mainframe automation expert using IBM Netview and/or CA Opsmvs
4 Year IT College Degree. Equivalent work experience or training.
a) 5 - 10 years information technology experience in a large scale commercial enterprise.
b) Career track record of engineering, developing, deploying and maintaining business critical information technology solutions across a range of technical platforms.
c) Demonstrated experience in developing contextual and conceptual architecture deliverables. Ability to conduct fact-based evaluations of architecture alternatives, mediate opposing viewpoints and negotiate equitable outcomes that ensure stable solutions. Practical experience with integrated development environments. Proven ability to diagnose and remediate large scale multi-tiered systems, including the underlying infrastructure. Broad experience based on understanding of the principles of Mainframe Infrastructure architecture, including the distinction between contextual, conceptual, logical, and physical layers and the distinction and dependencies between business, information, systems, and technology. Broad experience based on understanding of the principles of Mainframe Infrastructure architecture, including the distinction between contextual, conceptual, logical, and physical layers and the distinction and dependencies between business, information, systems, and technology.
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
Primary Location: US-TX-Austin
US-GA-Atlanta, US-MI-Warren, US-AZ-Phoenix
Posting Date: Jan 14, 2014, 2:59:59 PM - Ongoing
Job: Information Technology
Nearest Major Market: Alpharetta
Nearest Secondary Market: Atlanta
Job Segments: Automotive, Data Management, RF, Data, Science