Date: Jul 11, 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
About the General Motors Manufacturing Engineering team:
GM Global Manufacturing Engineering (ME) takes engineering products from Global Product Development (vehicles, engines, transmissions, and components) and brings them to reality in Manufacturing. Global ME is a group of approximately 10,000 employees responsible for the processes, tooling, machinery, and conveyance used to build the world’s best vehicles at over 165 locations across 31 countries globally.
The GM IT group works closely with ME to develop software and systems enabling ME to design the manufacturing process and equipment within the digital math pipeline to extend from product development to the plant floor. GM IT extensively leverages advance 3D CAD, simulation, and analytical technologies to design these processes and systems prior to physical build, enabling the virtual assessment of processes prior to the launch of the product in a manufacturing plant.
We deliver IT innovation with business benefits for the following engineering disciplines:
• Manufacturing Process Planning & Definition
• Tooling Design (Mechanical and Electrical)
• Die Design and Engineering
• Factory Layout Design
• Dimensional Engineering
• Dimensional Process Planning, Automated Data Collection, and Analysis
• Factory Material Flow
• Labor Planning
• Manufacturing Process Simulation and Validation
• Throughput Simulation and Bottleneck Analysis
• Robotic Simulation and Programming
• Virtual Validation Visualization
• Virtual Collaboration
GM IT collaborates closely with our business partners to develop the information system strategies along with the software solutions to achieve their objectives.
About the role:
The Manufacturing Engineering Application Architect is responsible for designing ME software applications. The architect will be analyzing many existing applications and developing solutions to consolidate or to replace these applications. The architect will work with the senior architect to develop and refine the application strategy that will simplify the environment, and address the business requirements.
The architect will work with development teams and provide regular guidance that is consistent with the application strategy. The architect will be responsible for development issue resolution. The architect shall be able to communicate with both development and architecture teams and be capable of presenting issues and resolution to management. Strategic thinking, problem solving and communications are the key assets of the architect.
The architect should be familiar with agile and waterfall development methodologies and have familiarity with TOGAF architecture methodology.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Implementation of strategic application architecture
- Designing application consolidation plan
- Designing application reduction plan
- Developing detailed application architecture
- Communicating strategic and architecture with development teams
- Communicating issues with senior architects
- Refining application architecture strategy
- Documenting application architecture
- Maintain standards compliance
- Work closely with senior developers and software engineers to gain additional knowledge and expertise
- Proactively engage in the remediation of software issues such as code quality, pattern mismatch, and security issues related to the code/configuration
- Analyzing and evaluating Commercial Off The Shelf solutions
- Analyzing and evaluating internal developed applications
- Refining the application roadmap
- Leading architecture discussions
- Leading remediation efforts
- Participating in Architecture Review Boards
- Work with teams to understand constraints of hardware when relating to the application
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math or technical discipline preferred or equivalent experience required
- 4-10 years of business process, systems and development experience
- Technical knowledge in the following:
o Software design
o Database design
o Systems architecture
o TOGAF or other architecture design approach
- Demonstrated Experience from at least four areas:
o Microsoft Visual Studio
o Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, PL/SQL Programming, Stored Procedure Development, Performance Tuning
o Web Application Servers: WebSphere, WebLogic, TomCat, IIS
o Development Environments: Visual Studio, Eclipse, Jdeveloper, Google Web Toolkit
o OS: Linux, UNIX, Windows
o Methodologies: Agile, Iterative, and Waterfall
o Network Communications
- Ability to learn new programming languages quickly
- Strong Communications skills
- Good knowledge of mathematical, scientific, and statistical principles and formulas
- Demonstrated ability to create application architectural designs
- Working closely with management team in evaluating current systems and making decisions on future development
- Providing advice, training and technical support for various projects.
- Experience and ability to teach or instruct co-workers
- Ability to understand what code scales well and what does not
- Ability to document what needs to be done and what you have done
- Experience with Product Development, Manufacturing Engineering and Quality
- Understanding of application and systems patterns
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
Primary Location: US-MI-Warren
US-GA-Atlanta, US-AZ-Phoenix, US-TX-Austin
Posting Date: Nov 14, 2013, 1:37:38 PM - Ongoing
Job: Information Technology
Nearest Major Market: Alpharetta
Nearest Secondary Market: Atlanta
Job Segments: Product Development, Automotive, Web Design, Research, Creative