Enterprise Batch Scheduler-Senior Engineer
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
About the General Motors Tools and Automation team:
GM has recently announced numerous steps to strengthen its position as a global automotive leader. The Tools and Automation team is responsible to build, deploy, sustain enterprise IT tools to automate data center operations. As a member of the Tools and Automation team you will play a significant role in helping GM implement the Enterprise Batch Scheduling systems and operations. GM is seeking dynamic individuals who will leverage their industry knowledge and experiences to design, architect, deploy, and manage this data warehouse.
About the role:
The Senior Systems Engineer – Batch Scheduler, is responsible for the installation, configuration, support, optimization and administration of tools and utilities used by the IT teams to design, deploy and schedule. The individual in this position will ensure that Data Center tools and utilities perform optimally to facilitate execution and delivery of IT Services supporting GM applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs, Automates, Configures, Supports, Optimizes, and Administers batch scheduling tools and utilities with only moderate guidance of senior staff team members.
- Analyze and monitor requirements and severity thresholds based upon business and engineering needs.
- Design and program scheduling / automation tools configurations and scripts to efficiently detect and report on system performance.
- Manages the operation of the GM standard batch scheduling platforms.
- Identifies and recommends modifications to procedures, system parameters, threshold monitoring triggers, security requirements, etc. to improve operations support and efficiency. Implements needed modifications.
- Develops and maintains system and process documentation.
- Works cross-functionally to analyze and resolve systems problems. Provides functional backup for the operation of system tools/utilities platforms outside the incumbent’s primary system responsibilities as required.
- Develops and maintains vendor relationships pertaining to service and support issues.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in Data Center operations, optimally in a similar capacity with responsibility for the configuration, administration, and/or support of Data Center tools and utilities.
- Previous experience using UNIX shell and/or PERL languages to code scripts to facilitate various configuration, administration, and troubleshooting activities
- Previous experience in batch scheduling platforms such as Autosys / TWS / Control-M are desirable.
- Familiarity with ITIL (or other) Service Management framework principles preferred.
- Excellent software/hardware troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communication professionally in a corporate environment.
- Overall architectural design experience with IT systems, and how they interface with business needs preferred.
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value. The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) is at the center of this IT transformation.
Join our team and experience data warehousing at a scale and pace not seen before!
Nearest Major Market: Alpharetta
Nearest Secondary Market: Atlanta
Job Segments: Engineer, Warehouse, Scheduler, Automotive, Computer Science, Engineering, Manufacturing, Customer Service, Technology